Sunday, December 14, 2008

White Tiger



Lately I was afflicted by the “I want to write but what do I write” syndrome.

And then I was buggered by the “Excellent I will write on this topic but when do I write it” disease.

But I couldn’t resist from writing on what I have hit this time around.

WHITE TIGER BY ARAVIND ADIGA

Described as “With remorselessly and delightfully mordant wit”,

I seriously doubt that delightful part.


I know every one is gaga over the fact that the book has won the bookers prize.

And 99% of the people are hitting the bookstalls for this reason only, after all a award winning book by a Indian author has to be read by every Indian.

A brilliantly written book, one you surely can’t ignore once you have started.

The simple yet non colloquial way of narration has been tastefully done.

But the only thought that used to run through my mind while reading was doesn’t the writer find even one good thing about our country?

The author I feel has twisted every existing belief, custom, life style, behavior etc into a negative aspect just in the name of reality check.

There are numerous beautiful books out there which have exposed some of the most horrifying truths but have also appreciated the few things that are still good.

An apt example would be The kite Runner and A thousand Splendid suns by Khaled Hosseini.

Both the books explore the war ravaged country Afghanistan, the brutality faced by the inhabitants of that country, the atrocities inflicted on the poor people, the dirty politics and war that have eaten away a once beautiful country.

But Khaled has also highlighted the fact that in the sea of negativity there still exist some hope, there still exist some good men out there who genuinely want to do good for others and for themselves.

Life and people are not as evil as has been portrayed by Mr Arvind Adiga.

I don’t think everyone in this country is as morally depraved as the characters in that book.

Neither am I denying the existence of such people, but this holds true for every nation not just India.

Don’t accuse me of not being able to accept the truth.

I am full aware of the fact that most of the things mentioned in the book are true, but not all.

I firmly believe our people are not so amoral, depraved and insensitive.


1 comment:

Subhash said...

I have been reading you blog since a while,you write well!Truly!